(This is the salad and appetizer as there will be tons of BBQ prepared)
Its throwback week and we are going back in time to 1976 the inaugural season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Me and my now wife’s first game together was the first ever Bucs throwback game in 2009. Since this is Madam Red’s and my first game back as husband and wife we decided to combine one of our favorite restraints with our first game. The Columbia Restaurant’s signature dish in YBOR City is their “1905 Salad” and it is a crowd pleaser for sure. I took the original recipe and added some changes that make it more fitting for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. So come to the tailgate and try my version of a Tampa classic in the “1976 Salad.”
• 4 cups iceberg lettuce, broken into 1 1/2″ × 1 1/2″ pieces
• 1 pint grape tomato
• ½ cup smoked turkey, julienned
• ½ cup Cheddar cheese, julienne
• ½ cup Yellow Bell Peppers, julienned
• ½ cup pimiento-stuffed green olives
• 2 cups “1976” Dressing (see recipe below)
• ½ cup Romano cheese, grated
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
• 1 lemon
• 1/2 cup extra-virgin Spanish olive oil
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• ⅛ cup white wine vinegar
• Salt and pepper to taste
For the 1976 Dressing mix olive oil, garlic, and oregano in a bowl with a wire whisk. Stir in vinegar, gradually beating to form an emulsion, and then season with salt and pepper. Make sure that you prepare this1 to 2 days in advance and refrigerate.
To create the salad combine lettuce, tomato, turkey, Cheddar cheese, yellow bell pepper, and olives in a large salad bowl. Before serving, add 1976 Dressing, Romano cheese, Worcestershire, and the juice of 1 lemon. Toss well and serve immediately.
*This recipe yields 2-4 servings. Make sure you increase all amounts equally when tailgating with more friends.
“Tailgate with attitude.”