- Coach Schiano is remaining true to his focus on preventing fumbles. LeGarrette Blount was mixed in with the first-string offense much more today than he has been so far in training camp. Doug Martin is still seeing some action with the starting offense, but after his fumble on Thursday the nature of this running back competition is beginning to even out a bit.
- Josh Freeman struggled early on going 2 for 5 during the first round of 11-on-11. On the second play of the session Freeman threw an interception reeled in by Anthony Gaitor, after the play was blown dead from a sack. Stroughter accounted for one drop, while Parker and Williams were responsible for the two completions. The reception by Parker, which ended the session, was actually intended for Mike Williams. No way was that play drawn up to have both receivers occupying the same space.
- The red zone 11-on-11 session was more successful for Freeman. He connected with Doug Martin on a wheel route for a touchdown after selling a playaction fake dive and end around. Martin gets a lot of credit here. He was able to make a tough catch on the sideline. This was Freeman’s first and last play during the red zone drill.
- The 7-on-7 passing drill is where Freeman looked most comfortable. He went 5-6 with receptions by (in order) Mossis Madu, Mike Williams, Ed Gant, Luke Stocker, Vincent Jackson (a catch which was taken right out of the hands of Anthony Gaitor). Tiquan Underwood accounted for the only drop of the session.
- Lighter note: Jeremy Trueblood attempted to catch a pass on a fake field goal attempt early in the practice. Result: he’s much better at creating false start penalties than playing tight end.
- INJURIES: Michael Bennett is still sidelined with an undisclosed bout of dizziness. Eric Wright was limited with tightness in his back, Carl Nicks seems to be longing for the cool confines of the Saints’ practice bubble as he took oxygen and needed to get off the field early. Mark Barron seems to have recovered from his minor toe issue, participating in individual drills.
- Ahmad Black and Larry Asante worked with the first-team defense while Barron and Barber took the day off to rest. Cody Grimm worked with the backups.
- Myron Lewis de-cleated an unaware De’Anthony Curtis toward the end of the practice and a post-play scuffle broke out, which drew the ire of Coach Schiano.
- Sammie Stroughter returned a punt for a touchdown. The return game will be essential for him to make the team.
Comments are closed.